"Baking vegetables minimizes steps in the kitchen and maximizes nutrient retention. When the garden is producing squash and onions, this is perfect for a potluck."
3 medium (yellow "crook-neck") summer squash
1 recipe Healthy Melty Cheese (recipe below)
1 large onion
1 cup seasoned whole wheat bread crumbs
1) Slice squash and onions and arrange in 9x13-inch casserole dish
2) Pour Healthy Melty Cheese (recipe below) over vegetables and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
3) Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Turn down to 325 and bake 15 more minutes.
Healthy Melty Cheese
1/4 cup rinsed, raw cashews
4-ounce jar pimentos, drained
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
2 tablespoons tahini
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups water
1) Bring 1 1/2 cups of the water to a boil in a saucepan.
2) Liquefy the remaining ingredients including the remaining 1 cup of water in the blender until very smooth.
3) Pour blended mixture into boiling water and continue to cook until thick.
4) Serve immediately
This sauce is also good served over broccoli, pasta, baked potato, toast, or use in a casserole.